Sunday, April 8, 2007

We're Going To See Kenny Chesney!

So, I called the Box Office at Alltel Arena in Little Rock and got accessible tickets for M. and me. M. is a big Kenny Chesney and country music fan. Me, not so much into country, although I have quite a selection of it on my computer now, thanks to helping M. download it to her mp3 player.

This ought to be an adventure and I'm excited.

M. can walk but she is a bit unsteady and shaky at times. She has a Jazzy power chair that she can use for such situations, but she isn't 100% comfortable with it. She also has a mini-van, dubbed Arnold, to use with said Power Chair. A summer ago, we went to the Precious Moments Chapel in Arnold, so I know I can drive him. (I came home and told my soon to be husband that I could be married now because I knew that I could drive a min-van. ) Arnold and Jazzy are coming along to concert.

Because Little Rock is about 3 hours away, and I'm narcoleptic and HATE driving at night, and because she has been having seizures or seizure-like activity lately that could possibly get worse when she's tired, we're getting a hotel room. And well, I feel like that's part of the adventure. She's 21. Traveling to see your favorite band or performer and then crashing someplace random is a great rite of passage, as far as I am concerned. I'm excited to be part of it.

There is a small glitch -- she has to go into the hospital for a week-long brain scan. Because she has had a hemisphectomy (removal of a brain hemisphere), we're fairly sure that after the brain scan, the doctors will shrug anyway and say "I don't what causing the seizure activity. She's a unique case." But they won't pin down when she has to come in. There is a good chance that she will miss Kenny. And because the tickets are accessible, I can't just stand at the front door and ask anyone if they need tickets, and sell them back at face value, like I usually do if I have extra concert tickets.

I know that she will be happy to be there and because she's so unsteady, the accessible seating is the best place for her. But after looking at the seating charts, I can see that she's in the back of the second section. (Incidentally, the very last seat before a price break). There is no choice to be up front and screaming and trying to make eye contact. But, well, the front is my favorite place at concerts. She isn't given that option.

To have no choice over where you sit -- that seems minor.
But it's not to me. I choose to take my chances in the pit a lot of the time, knowing full well that at some points in my life, that won't be an option for me.

Accessible shouldn't mean that we have a space for you in the back. I look forward to the day when there is a wheelchair accessible area in the good seats.

No comments: