Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I'm a trendsetter!

From my RSS Reader:

Immune Systems Increasingly On Attack

By Rob Stein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 4, 2008; Page A01
First, asthma cases shot up, along with hay fever and other common allergic reactions, such as eczema. Then, pediatricians started seeing more children with food allergies. Now, experts are increasingly convinced that a suspected jump in lupus, multiple sclerosis and other afflictions caused by misfiring immune systems is real.

The whole article is here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/03/AR2008030303200.html?nav=rss_email/components

Hrmmm... it's all about the hygiene hypothesis, that modern living is too clean and sterile and makes our immune systems malfunction. I realize I am not, on my own, a scientific study, but I think of all the barn cats with ringworm I picked up, all the hay I climbed and jumped into, all the horse crap I shoveled, all the mud pies I made and yes, ate, and I think that maybe this hypothesis, at least for me, barks up the wrong tree. I tested my immune system.

But then again, I don't really have allergies, except hay fever that developed after I left the area I grew up in. This article deals with allergies and links all immune dysfunction to them. That's also a big jump to say that what causes allergies in one person would cause MS or RA in someone else. The auto-immune mechanism might be the same, but I can't believe that my immune system eats my joints because I didn't get enough pathogens as a kid. The end of the article dealt with trials of people with auto-immune diseases eating parasitic worms.

Yeech.

I'll wait for the insurance to approve my Humira, thank you very much.

No comments: